For those of you who don’t know what MENsa is, let me break it down for you very simply. It’s a club/cult/organization for super smart people. The only problem is that they pay to be in a club/cult/organization with other smart people, so really how smart are they? It’s like a fuck ton of money too. Here is the description on their website:
Mensa, the high IQ society, provides a forum for intellectual exchange among its members. There are members in more than 100 countries around the world.
Activities include the exchange of ideas through lectures, discussions, journals, special-interest groups, and local, regional, national and international gatherings; the investigations of members’ opinions and attitudes; and assistance to researchers, inside and outside Mensa, in projects dealing with intelligence or Mensa.
So I am staring at the website, the name, and just embracing all that is 2017 with PC culture and I come to realize, holy shit Bill, MENsa is super sexist.
The obvious take here being that MENsa is in the name. Like woah, why aren’t women up in arms about this? Where are all the journalists on this one? Oh yeah, probably off writing about what Trump tweeted, what LeBron James is doing to the Cavs, Harvey Weinstein (this one is actually good news probably), or the NFL kneeling. So much news, they forgot about this one. So I will help them out here. This can all be found on their website.
1. First, the founders were male by the names of Roland Berrill and Dr. Lance Ware in 1946. Seriously, males in 1946 were super sexist. Like “Yo secretary, get me my Old Fashioned and fuck me in my office to keep your job sexist.” They were absolutely sexist savages. For perspective, women had only been voting for 26 years when they founded MENsa.
2. MENsa means “table” in Latin. MENsa claims that this is where all race, religion, gender, sexuality, political beliefs can all come together. I am going to say bullshit until a decade or two ago. I am going to say that MENsa meant table in the sense that men would be at the table, while women would serve them booze and sandwiches.
3. Now, let’s take a look at this logo here and ask which gender does it remind you of?
Do I need to say anything else?
4. MENsa’s United States headquarters is located in Arlington, Texas. Arlington, Texas just so happens to be the location of the MLB team called the Texas Rangers. Guess who owned them for a long time? Oh yeah, it was the Bush’s. And guess what: George H.W. Bush has been in the news the past week or so for sexually harassing women. So is Arlington, Texas a location in a very conservative state with those ties the best place? Hmm…this is adding up here.
5. Of the notable members listed on their website, of which there are 25, 15 are males, which is roughly 60%, almost two-thirds. That is two males for every one female. Does that mean twice as many males are geniuses compared to woman? I disagree, but I’ll let MENsa answer that one.
5. Further research of a simple Google search takes me to a 1998 article from The Independent, in which they ousted their first ever female lead without consoling her because she wanted to change things and make it more equal. In 1998, when they had the chance to be super progressive. Man these people are so damn smart, right?
6. MENsa also has some bullshit awards they give out and it seems from my research that most of the nominees companies are founded by men or run by predominantly males.
Now hold on one single goddamn minute. I’m not saying I am the smartest guy on the Internet here. But I am also not saying that I am not (double negative, meaning I am) the smartest person on the Internet. MENsa is super sexist it seems. Go look for yourself. It doesn’t take a genius IQ to put together these facts. It actually took an idiot in the basement with nothing better to do because he is between Netflix shows and too scared to watch Stranger Things season 1 because he’s behind and season 2 will be ruined by social media. So how smart do we think these MENsa folks are now? if they had a big brain, they’d start promoting some positive vibes about women more. Maybe make a name change to like anything but MENsa, because if other people get word of this shit, it’ll be a hell storm. My suggestion would be just call it Tabula, which was Latin for table. That one is on the house.
Now I’m going to kick back, grab a beer, and pat myself on the back about my investigative work.
@mensainternatl Have you ever considered your name or logo a bit sexist?
— BeerBellyBill (@beer_belly_bill) October 31, 2017